Is Nordic Diet Preferable for Losing Weight?
Although we do not live in the Scandinavian countries we can apply the Nordic diet according to our region and obtain great benefits in our health, while we lose weight. It is not surprising that you know or have ever heard of the Mediterranean diet, which is considered one of the healthiest in the world. However, it is not the only one that can be adopted. Although less widespread, the Nordic diet offers you as many benefits as the Mediterranean diet.
The World Health Organization (WHO) itself recommends this model of nutrition and states that it is a great ally against obesity.
And according to research, this diet helps reduce the risk of suffering from different conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and even cancer.
In general, we can say that the Nordic diet is quite similar to the Mediterranean diet. However, it has particularities adapted to the Northern European region, or what is more commonly known as Scandinavia. This region includes the countries of Iceland, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden. These are generally cold areas that converge in the Baltic Sea, where lakes abound. Therefore, a large part of the population lives in areas close to aquatic sources and where forests predominate.
Due to the geographical location, the products of the sea and lakes are the main foods of the Nordic diet, together with the fruits of the forest and the seeds.
Basic principles of the Nordic diet:
Highlights the fact that in the Nordic countries, the low rates of obesity are very low, thanks to food. And if that were not enough, these countries take the global baton in the production of organic food. Therefore, it is understood that, more than a plan to lose weight as such, the Nordic diet is the reflection of a lifestyle. In general, it is based on the action of giving priority to the foods that are available in natural environments. That is, in the seas, lakes and forests. For geographical reasons not everyone can take the Nordic diet to the letter, but you can try to follow most of its basic principles.
The Nordic diet is based on the frequent consumption of certain foods, which are detailed below:
- Root vegetables It refers to potatoes, carrots, beets and turnips.
- Green leafy vegetables (cabbages). Mainly kale, spinach, Swiss chard and cabbage.
- This is the case of lentils and beans.
- They emphasize the most common in that geography like the apples and the pears.
- Berries or fruits of the forest. A type of privileged fruit in the Nordic diet is what is known as berries or fruits of the forest, which includes strawberries, raspberries or blueberries, among others.
- Dairy products. As long as they are organic and low in fat.
- Whole grains the most beneficial are oats, barley and rye.
- This is the case of fennel or dill, among others that provide micro nutrients.
- Given its location in the Baltic Sea, as well as the existence of extensive lakes and rivers, the Nordic diet has as its main element blue fish, mainly salmon.
- These products have great properties that bring benefits in your body.
- They have a high content of micro nutrients that improve metabolism and prevent a large number of diseases. Given the magnitude of aquatic spaces in Scandinavia, algae are frequent in dishes.
- Animal source proteins in Scandinavia come, apart from fish, from deer, reindeer and elk. These are very tasty meats, which offer high quality proteins and are very low in fat.
The Decalogue of the Nordic Diet:
We immediately present the decalogue of the Nordic diet proposed by the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Fisheries of Denmark in 2012. It establishes the fundamental principles of this type of diet:
- Ingest more products from whole grains.
- Eat lots of foods that come from the sea and the lakes.
- Decrease the amount of meat, and that the one consumed is of the best possible quality.
- Eat more wild foods
- Prioritize the consumption of organic products.
- Avoid, at all costs, the food with additives.
- Try to eat only dishes based on local foods and seasonal.
- Prefer homemade food.
- Try to generate the least possible amount of waste.
A diet based on all those principles and those foods that we have detailed gives you all the essential macro nutrients and micro nutrients. With them, you will not only lose weight, but have a healthy lifestyle.
Remember that, due to the geographical difference, you have to adapt the Nordic diet according to the existing foods where you live. In any case, seek the advice of a professional if you want to integrate this diet in your life.
nordic diet recipes, nordic diet food list pdf, nordic diet 2018, nordic diet 7 day meal plan, nordic diet bodybuilding, nordic diet pros and cons, nordic diet reddit, scandinavian diet vs keto
#nordicdietrecipes #nordicdietfoodlistpdf #nordicdiet2018 #nordicdiet7daymealplan #nordicdietbodybuilding #nordicdietprosandcons #nordicdietreddit #scandinaviandietvsketo