15 Health Benefits of Olallieberry You Should Keep In Mind!
Olallieberry is one of the types of berries that can be found in the western US, especially in California. Olallieberry is a mix between loganberry and youngberry. Well, it all started in 1935 when George Waldo, one of the employees of the Agricultural Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA-ARS) had the idea of crossing a variety called loganberry (developed by Judge James Logan) and youngberry (developed by Byrnes M.Young), resulting in a varietal called “Oregon 609”. Before this fruit was released in 1950, it was renamed “Olallie”, which means berry according to Chinook jargon. This berry never grew correctly in Oregon and therefore grew mostly in California. Olallieberry has an exact physical appearance like blackberry. These olallieberries are juicy, large and bright, just like common blackberries and that is not surprising, since olallieberries have a close relationship with blackberries, because the parents of olallieberries (blueberries and young blackberries) have a genetic material of blackberries.
It also has a sweet taste, which makes this berry a great source of jam, cake and jellies. But do you know the health benefits of olallieberries? In this article, we already have the great benefits for your health if you consume olallieberries.
15 Olallieberry Health Benefits You Should Know:
1. Strengthen the Bones:
- Olallieberry contains a high amount of calcium that will strengthen your bones and maintain your bone health.
- In addition, the magnesium in olallieberry will stimulate the absorption of calcium and potassium in the body.
- In addition to that, olallieberry contains vitamin K that will protect you from bone disorders such as osteoporosis.
2. Prevents Birth Defects:
- Do you know that olallieberry can be useful for women during pregnancy? Olallieberry is a source of natural folates, which are an essential component to prevent birth defects in the fetus.
- Since its color is dark blue, olallieberry is also a perfect source of antioxidants that will fight any dangerous disease that may be happening to pregnant women.
3. Increase Immunity:
- Olallieberry also contains a high amount of vitamin C, minerals and phytoestrogens, which will fight against any pathogen and protect your body from various types of diseases.
4. Improves the Digestive System:
- Olallieberry is an excellent source of insoluble fibers, which improve the digestive system of the body.
- This insoluble fiber will stimulate water absorption in the large intestine and also cause stool excretion.
- As a result, you will stay healthy from any type of constipation disease.
5. Source of Antioxidants:
- As already mentioned above, olallieberry has a dark blue color that indicates that this fruit is an excellent source of antioxidants that will help your body fight free radicals.
- This fruit also has a flavonoid component that will help your body fight against any type of disease caused by harmful oxygen-free molecules.
- In fact, this flavonoid component will neutralize the action of these oxygen-free molecules.
6. Prevents Endothelial Dysfunctions:
- Many studies show that olallieberry contains components called cyanide-3-O-glycoside, which will protect your body from oxidative damage and vascular insufficiency, therefore, your inner lining of blood vessels will remain healthy and be safe from endothelial dysfunctions
7. Makes you Smarter:
- Well, this is really exciting for all those who wonder how to get smarter than before.
- Research studies show that olallieberry contains polyphenols that help maintain cognitive activity.
- In fact, this component is also very good for improving behavior and neuronal functions, and of course, it will strengthen your memory performance.
8. Promotes Skin Health:
- If you want to have a healthier face, this olallieberry fruit is for you. Olallieberry is a rich source of vitamin E that will surely protect your skin from wrinkles. This fruit also contains vitamin C that will make the collagen structures stronger than before.
- This collagen structure is essential to keep your skin toned and firm.
9. Ideal for Diets:
- If you are on a diet program, you should not worry about eating this fruit.
- It contains a low amount of sugar and calories, which will make this olallieberry fruit your ideal meal when you are hungry.
10. Promote Healthy Vision:
- Olallieberry fruit contains a component called lutein.
- This lutein component will form a protective pigment behind the retina area and protect it from oxidative stress and ultraviolet radiation.
- In addition to that, olallieberry also contains anthocyanosides that will protect your eyes from various types of eye diseases such as cataracts and night blindness.
11. Heal the Wounds:
- The fruit contains vitamin K that will maintain normal blood clotting.
- This means that olallieberry can prevent excessive bleeding after being injured and trigger healing of your wounds.
12. Healthier Heart:
- Eating olallieberry is a perfect option if you want to maintain the health of your heart due to its high amount of fiber.
- The fiber contained in this fruit will prevent blockage of the arteries and stimulates a smooth blood flow.
- In addition, olallieberry also contains magnesium that will adjust blood pressure.
- These actions will surely protect you from various types of heart diseases such as cardiac arrhythmia, stroke and atherosclerosis.
13. Promotes the Cure of Cancer:
- Like the health benefits of blueberries, all the berries in the family also have many proven research for cancer.
- Olallieberry is also quite effective in preventing your body from cancer due to its present micronutrients that will prevent the proliferation of malignant cells.
- This olallieberry fruit also contains a large amount of anthocyanins, which will prevent tumor growth and metastasis.
14. Prevents Parkinson’s:
- Studies show that people who eat at least two olallieberries in a week are 25 percent less likely to have Parkinson’s disease compared to their colleagues.
- The components called flavonoids in olallieberries are the main component to prevent the growth of Parkinson’s disease.
15. Prevent Alzheimer’s:
- As mentioned earlier, olallieberry fruit is an excellent source of antioxidants.
- This antioxidant will protect your brain from the cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer’s.
- In addition to that, olallieberry also contains a component called polyphenols.
- This component will help cleanse the accumulation of toxins that will cause brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
Oliallieberry Consumption Tips:
- As it has a sweet taste, it is not surprising that olallieberries are one of the fruits that have been consumed with many variations.
- This fruit has a short period of growth, so most olallieberries usually end up as jam or preserves.
- If you have fresh olallieberries, you can also consume them in the form of cakes or any type of pastry, in addition to mixing this fruit with other fruits and eating it directly.
- For those who are still wondering how to make the variations using olallieberries, here we serve the ingredients they will need and the guidance on how to make them.
- 9 inch double cake pie crust
- 6 cups of olallieberries
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Juice and peel of 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 butter spoons
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- With those ingredients, first, you need to preheat the oven to about 350 F. Meanwhile, spread the cake dough to form 2 crusts.
- Then, prepare the large bowl, mix the olallieberry with the juice and lemon zest, salt, sugar and tapioca in that bowl.
- Fix the cake pan with 1 crust and then pour it into the berry mixture.
- Put some butter. Meanwhile, beat the milk together with the egg yolk.
- Brush over the upper crust.
- With a sharp knife, make a couple of cuts in the upper crust so that steam can escape.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until the color of the crust turns golden brown.
Side Effects and Warnings:
Although olallieberry is one of the fruits that will bring you tons of benefits, but there are also precautions and warnings regarding this fruit, because when this fruit is consumed by people with certain conditions, it can cause them a problem. Here are the precautions and warnings related to olallieberry.
Olallieberry Contains a Tannic Component:
- Some studies indicate that olallieberry contains a component called tannin.
- Although olallieberry contains a small amount of this component, if people consume this fruit above the limit, it can cause the development of tumors in the body.
- In addition, excessive amounts of tannin in the body can cause serious stomach problems such as vomiting and nausea.
- If you want to counteract the effects of tannin, you should consume milk before eating this olallieberry fruit.
Change in Urine Colors:
- For a normal person, the color of their urine should be pale golden yellow. For certain people, their urine may turn red or light brown after consuming foods with a strong pigmentation like this olallieberry fruit.
- However, if this happens frequently, you should go to the doctor as you can suffer a serious illness such as kidney problems.
Now, after reading this article you already know all the benefits of olallieberry. It can be exciting to try this fruit as it has tasty and sweet flavors. While this is one of the fruits that can be consumed with a wide variety of innovations, but always remember to consume it wisely when eating this fruit as a cake or jam. Olallieberry in a jam or cake will be so tasty, but the contamination of sugar inside the olallieberry jam or cake can bring you a health problem if you consume it frequently. Eat it wisely, you will get all the benefits of olallieberries and stay healthy.